A conventional fire alarm system will use fire detection zones which are wired back to the main control panel. Each zone will cover a particular area of the building in order to identify the location of a fire.
What are the advantages of a conventional system?
- Conventional fire alarm systems are one of the cheaper options to buy
- Suitable for smaller business premises where a sophisticated fire alarm system isn’t needed
What are the disadvantages of a conventional system?
- Although cheaper to buy it’s more expensive to install
- The exact location of a fire can’t be given with a conventional fire alarm system. However, by wiring different floors or areas as zones, then an indication of which zone the fire is in can be given.
- If a wire becomes severed, the device is disconnected and may not signal the presence of a fire